Seattle, WA, USA
signal | whatsapp | email | blog | github
Operating Systems: Linux, macOS
Programing Languages: Python (competent to expert), Ruby, Java, Shell, C (rusty!)
Software Lifecycle: Git, AWS internal tools, Github, CodeDeploy
Cloud Services: AWS1, Docker
Tools: Emacs, Git, my tools category here
Personal Achievements and Hobbies
Volunteer open source contributor
IT area head for Chicon 8 (the 2022 World Science Fiction convention)
Completed the Seattle to Portland ride in 2017
2008: Bachelor of Science (Computer Science)
University of Alberta
Sept 2022 - Present: DAG vendor
Staff Software Engineer, Deployment
- There would be more bullet points here, but give me time, I'm new!
May 2011 - Aug 2022: All kinds of Cloud Things
**Amazon Web Services
Senior Software Engineer. Expertise in build systems, Python, deployment safety.
- Author and maintainer of build systems, CI/CD services, deployment systems, and software quality enforcement.
- Primary global point of contact and evangelist for python’s use as a development language within Amazon.
- Designed the interpreter dependency model used by Python, Ruby, NodeJS, and Java developers at Amazon. This allowed a rapid response to newly-discovered vulnerability reports by all of Amazon.
- Part of the cross-AWS incident call leader rotation. Notable recent incidents include the response to Log4Shell.
- Curator of Amazon's first party codebase2.
- 3 issued patents for network configuration management.
- US 9992064 B1 - Network Device Configuration Deployment Pipeline
- US 9893940 B1 - Topologically Aware Network Device Configuration
- US 9419856 B1 - Network Device Configuration Deployment Pipeline
June 2009 - May 2011 - Web Applications and Deployment Automation
- Automated deployment for web applications, marketing surveys, and telephony applications.
- ActionScript/Flex/PHP web application development3.
- System automation with Python/Fabric.
2005 - June 2009 - Intern and FTE Banking and Messaging Software
- Migration from CVS to SVN4.
- Maintain and extend a nightly autobuild system.
- Coded and maintained J2EE and legacy C services for B2B messaging systems.
- I certainly hope so! ↩
- This one is sort of hard to explain without a tonne of Amazon-specific context. Suffice to say we have a very large codebase with a complex history, and ensuring that all of the code in use meets a high bar for security and availability is its own special job. ↩
- It was both better and worse than you'd think! ↩
- I know, right?! I was so young... ↩